Friday, October 6, 2023

Mini Movie Review - Let the Right One In (2008)

 


Wednesday was Foreign Language Day, and for me it was another no-brainer. I’ve been wanting to watch this one but have never taken the time to just sit down and watch it. I tend to put off movies I know I want to watch in the original language with the subtitles on. Some folks watch everything with subtitles on. I find them a distraction. However, this is the second of two movies I’ll watch this way during the month. The first was Train to Busan and the last will be Brotherhood of the Wolf. (Please, whatever you do, do not watch Brotherhood of the Wolf with the English dub! Trust me.) And then there was this one, Let the Right One In.

Anyway, I’ve been looking forward to this and am so glad Pun’s movie challenge gave me the kick I needed to finally watch it. It’s dark, atmospheric, and absolutely beautiful to watch. What is it with gorgeous cinematography in Nordic noir? There isn’t a lot of dialog, either, which is something else I notice in some the films of some countries, especially films with hoped for international distribution. I appreciate their taking it a little easy on us stubborn Americans.

As for the horror, Oskar is a boy who befriends the new girl next door, only she’s not a girl. I think it’s wonderful about Oskar that he doesn’t care that she’s odd or different. He doesn’t even flinch when finding out she’s not human. And yet, it’s also worrying that he doesn’t care. He figures out that she’s a vampire, and it doesn’t bother him in the least that she kills people to live. I think there’s some of the horror, right there. This kid likes reading about violent death and doesn’t flinch much when actually confronted with it either.

But maybe the true horror is the actions of his bullies. And they start out mean and only get meaner, until the vicious, bloody ending. It’s exciting, and we cheer, when Oskar finally stands up for himself, but that action triggers the finale. And it’s all horrific when you really contemplate it. The only actual hero of the story is Ginia, who knows something bad is happening to her and wants to stop it before it’s too late.

Anyway, it’s a beautiful, captivating movie. And I still recommend you take the time to watch it if you like vampires, or coming of age movies. It’s also a deeply moving story of friendship and how true friends have one another’s backs, because Oskar and Emi do just that.

From a gaming perspective, this could be a great idea builder for one of the roleplay heavy rpg out there. I'm just not sure which one to suggest. Any ideas? Share 'em below please.

Check out the rest of my challenges here. And if you want to play along as well, you can find Pun’s daily themes on his blog, Halls of the Nephilim.

No comments:

Post a Comment