Friday, October 6, 2023

Mini Movie Review - Devil (2010)



Thanks to everyone who reads along and bears with me while I dust off both my writing and reviewing skills. It's been a few years since my brain would let me put words together into a string of written sentences. Lack of oxygenated blood and the mental messiness of menopause really had me messed up for awhile, but the menopause symptoms toned way down after a couple of years and a quadruple heart bypass earlier this year helped with the oxygenated blood issue. It's nice to get me life back!

 This will be one of the shortest reviews yet, because I only made it 1/2 an hour before turning it off. Seriously. Some folks maybe will like it? I'm not one of them, and I can tell you why. But first, why did I pick this movie that none of us have probably heard of? Well, the day's theme was "With a Twist" and I know M. Night Shyamalan is known for his twist endings. And he's not only involved as a produce, but also created the story. So, I at least expected decent. Maybe I shouldn't have. I mean, the talk about his movies since The Sixth Sense. 

First thing that was wrong? The opening credits. Very stylized shots of the camera moving through an upside-down cityscape. All it had me asking was why. The story is about 5 people trapped in an elevator and one of them is the devil in disguise. So, they've already started to lose me. I thought it might be redeemed with the next few bits, but no.

Second thing that was wrong? The score. Do not start with tension building music when there's just ordinary stuff happening. And yes, i n this kind of move, a dead body on top of a van is just ordinary stuff happening. Now, if you'd shown the action leading up to the body coming through a high level window from the skyscraper office building....maybe. (And aren't those windows shatter-proof? How much forse would you need to get a body out one of them?) So, we have a rampant case of music not fitting the scenes.

Third thing wrong with the movie? Voice over exposition during the credits. Actually, I didn't mind this. It was a nice device to get us up to speed with the mythology behind the story. Except that it was continuing a third of the way into the movie. And I'm still not sure which character was doing the voice over. But seriously, if you need to still be giving me info on top of what I'm seeing by that point in the movie, you've lost. Seriously, show, don't tell si a mantra for storytelling for a reason.

And finally, the fourth and last reason I stopped e the movie? The folks in the elevator were too much a caricature of real characters. And I felt no sympathy for any of them really. At best I didn't feel anything about them either way and at worst I wanted to drop them down the elevator shaft myself. There were some characters outside the elevator who were decently done, but they weren't the focus. 


So, seriously, skip this movie. I couldn't even make myself sit through it for the sake of finishing my challenge movie for the night. I kept hoping it would get better, but instead it just got worse. It was so bad, you'll notice I didn't even post a handy IMDb link for you. And no, it's not a so bad, it's good kinda bad. It's just bad.

Given that it's the fifth movie in the challenge and the first I really haven't liked is a pretty good record. 

Check out the rest of my challenge choices at this post. And if you want to play along as well, you can find Pun's daily themes on his blog, Halls of Nephilim. And if you watch, or have watched, any of my reviewed movies, please leave me a comment in below.

No comments:

Post a Comment