Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Mini-Movie Review - John Carpenter's The Fog (1980)

 


My mini reviews of the movies we’re watching this month are going to run a wee bit behind. October decided to come in with a bang and I’ve barely been home. Fitting in a movie in the evening has been challenging.

1 October – The Fog (Day’s theme was First Time Watch) This was the original version of the movie, from 1980. I really enjoyed it and loved how it didn’t play to the tropes we so easily toss about nowadays when discussing movies. It would be worth a re-watch.

My biggest problem was the age difference between Tom Atkins and Jamie Lee Curtis. I might not have discovered just how big of an age difference there was, except Jeff pointed out that he looked a little old for her. A little! Try he was 45 to her 22. Once I knew, it just became icky. However, you can already tell how good of an actress she is.

I really loved that the three female leads are the top billed in the credit, with Jamie Lee Curtis and Adrienne Barbeau having top billing on the movie poster. And the women were smart, too.

The movie makes the most of suspense, which I like. It’s also got some slasher vibes as the creatures in the fog exact their revenge, but you don’t see a lot of blood splashed about. I honestly think that would have been a distraction from the suspense John Carpenter kept building as the story progressed.

And since this is a, at least in theory, a gaming-related blog, I started thinking Call of Cthulhu by the mid-point. I mean, really, creepy fog with murderous monsters coming out of it? It practically screams Deep Ones – and I’m not talking about those Hybrid nasties either. Oh, and the movie backs up my philosophy of if you play well, and smart, you have a good chance of surviving.

That's it for now! Play along with your own Halloween movie challenge and check out Pun's themes here

No comments:

Post a Comment