Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Boston Tunnel Affair - After Effects and Wrap Up

Part 8
The Boston Tunnel Affair: Beneath the City, the Tunnels are Alive!
Bridgette’s Dairy




Friday, 17 January, 1925

We found out the next day that a good chunk of the immediate area had suffered from the death of the tunnel monster. Several streets were either partially or completely collapsed. City officials were puzzled as to what caused the damage, since according to experts as it didn’t seem to be an earthquake. Our brave little group will spend the next couple of days at the hotel before heading into New York City. At least, I know that is where Miss. O’Reilly and I are going, since we will be filing reports of the adventure with the New York chapter of the Society. As for the evening of our final trip into the sewer tunnels, I returned to my room to shower and take several good stiff drinks from my flask. I may need to renew my physician’s credentials if there are many more trips to America, as that is the only way to get your hands on alcohol in the States these days. Silly Yanks, don’t they realize we need something to steady ourselves after fighting accursed beasties to keep them safe? As for now, I just want to find a comfy location and do nothing but sleep for several days.


Monday, 20 January, 1925

New York City is amazing! Miss. Devereaux accompanied Miss. O’Reilly and myself into the city and has promised to act as a sort of tour guide for all of the necessary sights, which apparently include several department stores as well as the usual monuments. We are in a hotel right in the middle of Manhattan, near the famed Times Square. I must admit to feeling a bit like a hick in the big city, all wide-eyed and agog at the sights. It is nothing like London, which has its own hustle and feel. We shall spend a part of the afternoon writing up our reports for the Society and then take the next couple of days to rest and play tourist. I’m sure we all can use the time to refresh ourselves after such an amazing time of it in Boston. I’m honestly a little worried as to how the upper echelons at the Society will take the contents of our reports, given how fantastical the whole endeavor proved to be. I can only report the facts as they happened. And I suspect my worries may be for naught, as neither Miss. Devereaux nor Mr. Smith appeared too caught off guard by the vampire, Labana. Hopefully I can perhaps find some appropriate time to ask her more on the subject.

It is also disappointing that I shall probably never know more about the tunnel creature. In spite of the sheer horror and awfulness of it all, the entire concept of a living “tunnel” is still fascinating. While the death of the creature has also hopefully ended the disappearances, we still do not understand what was entirely behind them. Was Labana using them as a food source before eventually killing them slowly by exsanguinations? Was she dragging them into the tunnel as food for the tunnel creature? Or was the creature somehow luring them down into the tunnels to consume without any help from the vampire? We’ll never know. And, Dear Diary, you know how very much a scientific mind hates the idea of never being able to understand things.

We shall depart for England on the 24th. It shall be nice to be back in my cozy cottage with all of my artifacts and books once more. And fortunately for me, Miss. Devereaux has offered to fly me over whenever I need to give my lecture at Harvard. Apparently she is quite the pilot. I am rather looking forward to it. Not only will it allow me to return to the States for another visit, but it shall be nice to add to my vitae. And the added time spent with Miss. Devereaux shall be nice. Perhaps then I can find out more of her past adventures with Mr. Smith.

I wonder if the Millennium Society will have any other adventures for me in the future. Hopefully they won’t be as sanity-sacrificing as this last one. I’m trying very much not to dwell upon what happened. I may be better ready to process and digest it all after our return to England, but as of now, it’s still too new and strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment