Thursday, June 20, 2013

Thoughts on Running a Game

Some Advice to a Young Friend Before He Runs His First Game
 
(Stone Dice from The Dice Collector)


One of the young men who games with us on the weekends is going to start his own game tomorrow and asked me for advice. And I must apologize to him, because he caught me off guard and I wasn't sure what to tell him. Fortunately, after having some time to ponder the question, I've finally gotten some advice. I thought I'd share it here, because, well, this IS my gaming-related blog and maybe some of my readers could chime in some suggestions in the comments? (And then I'll be really, really happy because you've left me comments. :-D )

My suggestions, in no particular order...

1. Be flexible. Every one I've ever met who GMs will back this up. You can plan out 49 different ways the party can go and they'll find the 55th and take it. It never fails, especially if you don't have a backup plan.

2. Have fun. Just not at the players expense, unless they can laugh along with you. Seriously, nearly everyone should be having fun or something's seriously wrong with the campaign. (Although it might not be you.)

This also isn't to say that you can't have any fun at their expense. Really, I'll admit, I got a kick out of rolling a critical attack on you Tuesday, but it wouldn't have been enjoyable if it had been an insta-kill. And I love when I manage to hit my husband's characters, mainly because it's usually so danged hard to do.

3. Remember that however much fun you're having in combat, the players really are the ones who are supposed to win. You don't have to make it easy for them, but they should stand a decent chance of success. We once had a DM throw nasty stuff at us and then reply that we didn't need to fight it just because it was there. It was very frustrating because, in that setting, we had no idea of the strength of anything that we fought. How were we to know we couldn't take it?

4. Encourage backstories. And use them. I think the amazing Perry has done this some in our Adventure! game, but I really saw it put to effective use with my Sunday night game. And yes, I'll use it in both my Tuesday Wizard's Guild game AND my weekend game.

5. Encourage roleplaying. It's more fun. And sometimes, honestly, that might be all you get done in a session, but hopefully it'll advance the story in some way. It'll certainly connect the players with their characters all the more.

If possible, reward players for playing their characters, in character. I toss out some extra exp, but I also keep it in mind when they're looking for a particular item.

6. Don't be afraid to make a gaming call on the fly, ask long as it's fair. No, it might not be what the rules say when you get around to looking it up, but if looking it up is going to take 1/2 hour...either just go with what makes sense or have someone else check it out while you move on.

7. Stay focused. I've noticed on the days when I'm just not really all there then the rest of the group isn't either. And, no offense, but with teens play it can quickly get out of hand and dissolve into chaos. (With the adults it usually just leads to lots of chatting.) Once you lose that control, it can be hard to get it back.

8. Don't bully. This can sometimes be hard, but don't use your position to get back at someone you're annoyed with, just because you can. It's petty and makes the game unfun for pretty much everyone else.

The exception is that one player who just doesn't realize he's being a jerk...or doesn't care. And in that case, start softly and the escalate. We once had a friend who was just being the most annoying person. He thought he could have his character act how ever HE felt, just because he was chaotic neutral. Finally I invoked the "If You Say It, Your Character Says It" rule. He made a racist comment in the Mages' Library and then, when the librarian objected, cast something that nearly caught the place on fire. I had him arrested and tossed in the jail with some pretty serious charges against him. He continued being a jerk so my husband's character hired an assassin to take him out - in his jail cell. I didn't make him roll a new character, but instead reincarnated him as the same race as the librarian. The lesson was learned.

And finally, just because it's you,

9. DON'T METAGAME! Remember to stick to what the npcs and monsters know, which is not necessarily what the GM knows.

Oh, and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment